getting a later-version of BIND on various linux OS's

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Mon Nov 9 07:40:23 UTC 2020

oops - sorry - I totally missed THIS page:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/bind9/download
...so it seems that there is a way. Still, I'm getting weird errors about:

E: The repository 'http://ftp.debian.org/debian sig Release' does not
have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is
therefore disabled by default.

...but I'll work through those and ask a follow-up if I get stuck. Sorry
for the noise - I can't believe I missed that extra page.

Rob McEwen

On 11/9/2020 2:18 AM, Rob McEwen wrote:

> Several weeks ago, Mark Andrews gave me an excellent suggestion about
> a particular BIND feature, but it is a somewhat recent feature that
> started to exist on a version of BIND that isn't yet distributed in
> the default/main BIND distributions for many of the most common
> linux-based operating systems. I think the particular feature that was
> mentioned - came into existence around BIND 9.13? Unfortunately, many
> of the major linux operating systems haven't reached 9.13 yet. So, for
> example, I'm currently trying to upgrade a Debian server to a more
> recent version of BIND - 9.16 - and I saw the following pages:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/bind9
>
> https://www.isc.org/blogs/bind-9-packages/
>
> But I can't seem to find any simple way to do this - or maybe I missed
> something on that page? - from what I've seen, for Debian, it requires
> that the BIND source code (and various dependencies) be downloaded,
> and then BIND has to be compiled. Or so it seems. I tried that, but
> kept running into errors  - something about "Libressl not found" -
> even though I really did already have the SSL package installed that
> it said it needed. It was a downward-spiral mess I couldn't seem to
> resolve.
>
> So here is the question - is there an */easier/simpler/* way to get
> the most common linux operating systems (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOs, etc)
> - to a later version of BIND - beyond what auto-installs when you
> issue a command like "apt-get install bind9" - but /without/ having to
> download and compile the source code?
>
> --
> Rob McEwen, invaluement

Rob McEwen