How can I launch a private Internet DNS server?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 7 14:04:03 UTC 2020

first: there *is* a requirement of a secondary nameserver
https://www.iana.org/help/nameserver-requirements

Am 07.11.20 um 14:21 schrieb alcol alcol:
> you can't run a sec. srv. from your own. You need some action from
> ADMIN-C or TECH-C

yeah, someone needs to tell the registry the nameservers that's it,
nobody expect something work out of the blue

> otherwise it will not work at all x RFC SOA refresh 24H

no idea what that means, but it makes no sense

> In all case a sec. srv. on the same net

no *not* on the same net

thelounge.net.          86400   IN      NS      ns1.thelounge.net.
thelounge.net.          86400   IN      NS      ns2.thelounge.net.

ns1 = 85.124.176.242
ns2 = 91.118.73.16

in fact ns2 is the master, ns1 is the salve for historical reasons, both
hosting some hundret domains, both operated at my own for 12 years now

in fact both are even on the same *redundant* cluster
and the whole backends and automation is homegrown

> *From:* bind-users <bind-users-bounces at lists.isc.org> on behalf of Kevin
> A. McGrail <kmcgrail at pccc.com>
> I just wanted to comment that there is no "requirement" to run a
> secondary DNS server.  It's certainly best practice and should be
> considered.  However, the goal of having two DNS servers is to promote
> redundancy if DNS fails but other services you need have not
this is *not* true at all

https://www.iana.org/help/nameserver-requirements

Requirements for Name Servers

These tests are performed for the set of NS records and any associated
IP addresses for those name servers. For each individual hostname, tests
are performed against each IP address and protocol pair.
Minimum number of name servers

There must be at least two NS records listed in a delegation, and the
hosts must not resolve to the same IP address.