How can I launch a private Internet DNS server?

Alessandro Vesely vesely at tana.it
Thu Nov 5 12:40:43 UTC 2020

On Thu 05/Nov/2020 12:59:37 +0100 Michael De Roover wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 11:31 +0100, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>> A good secondary offloads your server
>> noticeably, and
>> keeps the domain alive in case of temporary failures.
>
> AFAIK, authoritative slave servers are only used when the master is
> confirmed to be down. Lookups take significantly longer in such cases
> since for every request, the master will be asked first. This can take
> between 2-4s. There are no performance benefits to running multiple
> name servers as master-slave, though it's fairly easy and offers good
> redundancy (a slow lookup is still better than no lookup).

IME, slave servers[*] are queried all the time, and since they have a better
connection than I do, they reply faster.

> A commercial
> service will have to support zone transfer from your master, and said
> master has to have that commercial service authorized to pull your
> zone(s).

Yes

> I haven't personally heard of such services, and would
> probably just run another BIND box somewhere else (different hosting
> provider or something like that).

It costs much more.

Best
Ale
--

[*]  Oops, *secondary* servers --they said not to use /slave/ since gone with
the wind was censored, lest the DNS gets censored as well... Oh gosh!