DLZ: dlz/modules, dlz/drivers ?

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Tue May 26 08:06:52 UTC 2020

> contrib/README says that dlz/drivers are the old style dlz support,
> and one should use dlz/modules.

Correct.

The modules in contrib/dlz/modules are loaded at runtime. Since they're
dynamically linked, you don't have to link them into named at compile
time, so configure doesn't know about them.

> ./configure dlz options, however, seem to enable exactly dlz/drivers,
> i.e., the "deprecated" one, instead of dlz/modules.
>
> What is the status of contrib/dlz/modules? Their build doesn't look to
> be integrated with the rest of the build system.

The ones in contrib/dlz/drivers ones do need to be linked in at compile
time, so they still turn up as configure options even though they're
kinda obsolete now.

I expect them to go away in 9.17/9.18; the only reason they're still there
now is that a few of them support databases that we don't have modules for
(postgres, ODBC).

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.