Increase in retry and timeout errors post 9.9.4 -> 9.11.4 upgrade

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon May 4 02:13:16 UTC 2020

Well BIND 9.11+ supports DNS COOKIE by default and there are some servers that mishandle EDNS requests with a DNS COOKIE option present.  Unknown EDNS options are supposed to be ignored, but there are servers/firewalls that just drop such queries.  Others return FORMERR, others return NXDOMAIN when there is a answer w/o the option being present, others echo unknown options, and others still send back a DNS COOKIE response but fail to correctly copy the client cookie part to the response.

https://ednscomp.isc.org/compliance/ts/govfull.optfail.html show how servers for .GOV zone behave when presented with a unknown EDNS option.  Other datasets are similar.

You can use "server <prefix> { send-cookie no; };” to work around known broken servers.

Mark