9.16 on older platforms

Chuck Aurora ca at nodns4.us
Fri Mar 20 15:26:43 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-19 14:53, Rick Dicaire wrote:
> Hi folks, I have found that new dependencies for 9.16 prevent it
> being able to build on Slackware linux 14.2 (no ply or libuv).
> (Yes I'm aware I can do the additional steps of downloading,
> compiling, installing the deps, but that's not the point)

FWIW both libuv and ply are available on SlackBuilds.org for 14.2,
neither of which have any dependencies, so with a SBo frontend like
https://sbopkg.org/ , it would be a quick and easy install.

Of course you probably already know that 9.16 will be in Slackware's
15.0 release; a preview of which is in slackware(64)?-current at this
time.

14.2 is likely to remain a viable release for years to come, although
SBo will drop support when 15.0 is released.  It's usually trivial to
backport -current or later-release SBo slackbuild scripts to older
Slackware versions.