recursive resolver

G.W. Haywood bind at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sat Mar 14 13:30:59 UTC 2020

Hi there,

------------------------------

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020, Grant Taylor wrote:

> I feel like running a network sniffer (tcpdump, Wireshark, etc.) on the
> recursive resolver will make it quite apparent ...

Great minds think alike... :)

For the purposes of comparison you can always try a public service:

laptop3:~$ >>> dig @8.8.8.8 lists.isc.org

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Debian <<>> @8.8.8.8 lists.isc.org
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;lists.isc.org.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
lists.isc.org.          7199    IN      A       149.20.1.60

;; Query time: 62 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sat Mar 14 13:15:51 GMT 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 58

Seems to me that 62ms is very respectable.  If you have problems with
your own service you can probably use a different one, if only until
such time as you can fix your own (and if indeed it needs to be fixed).

--

73,
Ged.