BIND 9.16 incoming TCP connection errors

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Jun 16 15:28:09 UTC 2020

Hi folks,

I'm running an authoritative server on BIND 9.16. It gets about 3500
q/s, of which around 200 q/s are over TCP. At least, this is what DSC
reports (DSC is a libpcap application sniffing traffic independent of BIND).

In my named.conf, I have set:

reserved-sockets 1000;
tcp-clients 900;

Yet, when BIND is running, it is frequently logging:

16-Jun-2020 15:21:58.815 general: Accepting TCP connection failed:
socket is not connected

What does this log message mean? I don't think it's related to quota,
because the quota message is different ("TCP connection failed: quota
reached").

Another question I have is that the "reserved-sockets" option has a note
saying that it might go away. Does this mean that it's not actually
necessary? The documentation suggests that I have to increase it if I
want to increase the value of "tcp-clients".

Regards,
Anand