BIND installed on a Solaris 11.4 x 86 virtual server

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Mon Jun 1 18:59:54 UTC 2020

On 01/06/2020 20:08, DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA) via
bind-users wrote:

Hi Jim,

> Installed BIND 9.16.3 and I discovered that the SMF dns/server is
> trying to read named.conf from /usr/local/etc/:
> "/usr/local/etc/named.conf: file not found".  I am trying to figure
> out how point named to read /etc/named.conf.

I last touched SMF over 15 years ago, and I don't remember enough about
it now, so I can't speak for the SMF parts of your question.

> I did try re-compiling BIND with different switches but it resulted
> in the same thing.  Is there an environment variable or a ./configure
> switch to re-point the default to /etc/named.conf?  I tried
> '--sysconfdir=/etc'  --no luck there.  Do I edit the manifest file?

This *is* the correct way to define the default location of named.conf.

> I attempted named -c /etc/named.conf  with no luck

This *must* work. However, your description "no luck" isn't enough. Can
you describe exactly what happened when you named "named -c
/etc/named.conf"?

> $ named -g:

Run "named -c /etc/named.conf -g" and see what happens.

Regards,
Anand