DNS security, amplification attacks and recursion

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Jul 7 14:06:25 UTC 2020

Michael De Roover <isc at nixmagic.com> wrote:

> Said friend said to me that he tested my authoritative name servers and
> found them to be not vulnerable. [snip] They do not respond to recursive
> queries. It appears that the test of whether a server is "vulnerable" or
> not has to do with this. The command used to test this was apparently
> "dig +short test.openresolver.com TXT @your.name.server".

OK, that iss all right and correct, but there is (of course) a bit more to
this issue.

As you already know, the most basic thing to avoid is not being an open
recursive server. Out of the box, BIND has a recursion ACL that only
allows queries from directly connected networks, so you won't have this
problem without making an explicit configuration mistake. Normally for an
authoritative-only server, you should set `recursion no` to lock it down
more tightly.

An auth-only server can also be used for amplification attacks that use
its authoritative zones - these attacks don't have to use recursion.
There are a few ways to mitigate auth-only amplification attacks.

Response rate limiting is very effective. Start off by putting the
following in your options{} section, and look in the BIND ARM for other
directives you can put in the rate-limit{} section.

	rate-limit {
	};

Especially if you have DNSSEC signed zones then there are a few extra
things you can do to reduce the size of your response packets, which
reduces the attacker's amplification factor, and makes you less likely to
be abused.

Set a maximum UDP packet size, to suppress fragmented packets. The DNS
flag day 2020 campaign will make this a standard setting. For a long time
I have used:

	max-udp-size 1420;

	https://dnsflagday.net/2020/

A downside of small UDP responses is more truncated packets and more
queries over TCP, but there are still more ways to reduce response size
which also reduce truncation.

Reduce the size of responses to ANY queries, which are a favourite tool of
amplification attacks. There's basically no downside to this one, in my
opinion, but I'm biased because I implemented it.

	minimal-any yes;

You can also reduce the size of other answers. In theory this option might
force resolvers to make more queries to get records that by default would
appear in the additional section, but I think in practice resolvers make
these queries anyway because of RFC 2181 trustworthiness logic, and
because applications (such as SMTP servers) find it easier to query
directly than use additional records. So on my auth servers I set:

	minimal-responses yes;

If you are signing zones with DNSSEC, consider doing an algorithm
rollover to ECDSA p256 (algorithm 13) because this has much smaller
signatures than RSA. Algorithm rollovers are not particularly easy,
because you need a good grasp of the DNSSEC key timing parameters and how
and when to swap over your DS records. (There used to be even more
gotchas, so it is getting easier, honest!)

Finally, there's the built-in _bind CHAOS view. This has very strict
response rate limiting by default, but if you want to be super careful
you can set `version none` and `hostname none` to lock it down further.
(I don't bother with this.)

Here endeth the brain dump.

Tony.
Mull of Galloway to Mull of Kintyre including the Firth of Clyde and North
Channel: Variable, 2 to 4. Moderate at first near the Mull of Kintyre,
otherwise smooth or slight. Showers. Mainly good.