Problem resolving domain

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jan 27 15:40:45 UTC 2020

Am 27.01.20 um 16:26 schrieb Stephan von Krawczynski:
> I ran across a question I did not really expect. I am using bind 9.14.1 as
> normal, standalone nameserver. When trying to resolve a certain domain I get a
> SERVFAIL (with nslookup). Deeper inspection of the problem shows that the
> domain uses 2 nameservers, where one works perfectly well, the other does not
> know the domain at all.
> I would have expected that bind finds the domain by using the working
> nameserver and ignoring the dead one. But obviously it does not.
> Did I misconfigure something? I thought both nameservers should be questioned
> and the first working result be used, or not?

when a domain is completly wrong configured it's expected that it's
broken in several ways

in doubt even when both asked the *faster* response is taken to speed up
operations and when the dumb one is responding faster with it's NXDOMAIN
that's it

how should the resolver guess if NXDOMAIN or the response from the otehr
one is correct?

the assumption "take one with a positive answer" is completly screwed
when you consider DNSBL/DNSWL one second!