CDS-deletion record "CDS 0 0 0 00" is failing with bind-9.14.9 and bind-9.14.8

Tom lists at verreckte-cheib.ch
Fri Feb 21 07:31:02 UTC 2020

Hi Mark

Thank you for your answer. BIND is definitely running the current version:

$ rndc status
version: BIND 9.16.0 (Stable Release) <id:6270e60> ()
running on server: Linux x86_64 3.10.0-1062.4.3.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed
Nov 13 23:58:53 UTC 2019
boot time: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 16:30:15 GMT
last configured: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 16:31:25 GMT
configuration file: /etc/named/named.conf
(/opt/chroot/bind/etc/named/named.conf)
CPUs found: 4
worker threads: 4
UDP listeners per interface: 4
number of zones: 110 (98 automatic)
debug level: 0
xfers running: 0
xfers deferred: 0
soa queries in progress: 0
query logging is OFF
recursive clients: 0/900/1000
tcp clients: 2/150
TCP high-water: 103
server is up and running

I've removed the CDS/CDNSKEY records from the zone with dnssec-settime
-K [key-directory] -D sync now Kexample.com...

So the CDS/CDNSKEY are no more longer existing in the zone and are no
longer queryable with dig -> as expected:
$ dig @127.0.0.1 +noall +answer cds example.com -> No output
$ dig @127.0.0.1 +noall +answer cdnskey example.com -> No output

So from my point of view, I have now a clear starting point where no
longer CDS/CDNSKEY records are published.

When I now configure the explicit deletion record(s) within the zone for
"CDS" and/or "CDS/CDNSKEY", then BIND is still failing with the
mentioned error.

The zonefile looks like this:
-------- SCHNIPP --------
$TTL 3600
example.com.	IN	SOA	ns1.example.com. dnsadmin.example.com. (
			2020022104
			10800
			3600
			1209600
			3600 )

example.com.	IN	NS	ns1.example.com.
example.com.	IN	NS	ns2.example.com.

@		IN      CDS     0 0 0 00
@		IN      CDNSKEY 0 3 0 AA==

21-Feb-2020 08:13:40.939 general: error: zone example.com/IN (unsigned):
CDS/CDNSKEY consistency checks failed
21-Feb-2020 08:13:40.939 zoneload: error: zone example.com/IN
(unsigned): not loaded due to errors.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Tom