ISC DNSSEC Guide - Working with the Parent Zone

Daniel Stirnimann daniel.stirnimann at switch.ch
Wed Dec 23 10:43:48 UTC 2020

Hi Matthijs,

The zone was not signed before. I enabled DNSSEC by adding the
'dnssec-policy'. I will send you the requested files off list.

Thank you,
Daniel

On 23.12.20 11:39, Matthijs Mekking wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> This zone was signed before, prior to switching to 'dnssec-policy'? Or
> did you enable DNSSEC by adding 'dnssec-policy'?
>
> If you have them, would you be able to share with me (off list) the logs
> and the key (state) files?
>
> - Matthijs
>

> On 23-12-2020 10:47, Daniel Stirnimann wrote:
>> Hello Matthijs,
>>
>> I'm testing with version 9.16.9.
>>
>> Ok, I'm more confused now.
>>
>> For the current key rollover the DNSKEY RRset is not signed with both
>> the old key 6207 and the new key 15769 but only with the new key 15769.
>> The domain is now bogus:
>>
>> https://dnsviz.net/d/badware.ch/X-MRAg/dnssec/
>>

>> rndc dnssec -status badware.ch
>> dnssec-policy: test
>> current time:  Wed Dec 23 10:42:00 2020
>>
>> key: 39414 (ECDSAP256SHA256), CSK
>>    published:      no
>>    key signing:    no
>>    zone signing:   no
>>
>>    Key has been removed from the zone
>>    - goal:           hidden
>>    - dnskey:         unretentive
>>    - ds:             unretentive
>>    - zone rrsig:     unretentive
>>    - key rrsig:      hidden
>>
>> key: 6207 (ECDSAP256SHA256), CSK
>>    published:      yes - since Wed Dec 16 07:33:24 2020
>>    key signing:    no
>>    zone signing:   no
>>
>>    Key is retired, will be removed on Fri Jan  1 11:43:24 2021
>>    - goal:           hidden
>>    - dnskey:         omnipresent
>>    - ds:             unretentive
>>    - zone rrsig:     unretentive
>>    - key rrsig:      hidden
>>
>> key: 15769 (ECDSAP256SHA256), CSK
>>    published:      yes - since Wed Dec 23 07:33:24 2020
>>    key signing:    yes - since Wed Dec 23 07:33:24 2020
>>    zone signing:   yes - since Wed Dec 23 09:38:24 2020
>>
>>    Next rollover scheduled on Wed Dec 30 07:33:24 2020
>>    - goal:           omnipresent
>>    - dnskey:         omnipresent
>>    - ds:             rumoured
>>    - zone rrsig:     rumoured
>>    - key rrsig:      omnipresent
>>

>> Daniel
>>
>> On 23.12.20 10:33, Matthijs Mekking wrote:
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> With which specific 9.16 version are you testing? The first versions
>>> used an unsafe time based rollover, assuming the DS would be published
>>> withing a certain time. In 9.16.7 a new rndc command "rndc dnssec
>>> -checkds" was introduced to tell BIND 9 that the DS for a given key has
>>> been published.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Matthijs

SWITCH
Daniel Stirnimann, SWITCH-CERT
Werdstrasse 2, P.O. Box, 8021 Zurich, Switzerland
phone +41 44 268 15 15, direct +41 44 268 16 24
daniel.stirnimann at switch.ch, www.switch.ch