Zonefile Management in git

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Dec 8 21:54:16 UTC 2020

Hi Cameron,

We do something like this for our zones. In our zone repository, I have
a script called "checkzones". I can run it any time in my checkout of
the repository, and it checks all the zones for various things. For
example, it checks for implicit owner names, missing TTL, etc. It also
runs "named-checkzone" for every zone. You can make the script as
extensive as you like.

Next, we have a GitLab CI/CD config file in the repo, that tells GitLab
to spawn a docker image, check out the repository in there, and run the
"checkzones" script. If it fails for any reason, the pipeline fails.

Our GitLab repository is configured to prevent direct commits to the
"master" branch. Instead, all users must create a separate branch, and
push their commits to it. If the pipeline succeeds, GitLab merges the
commit to master. If the pipeline fails, the user gets email, and they
need to go and fix their mistakes with additional commits, until the
pipeline succeeds.

Regards,
Anand