9.11 -> 9.16 via COPR

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Fri Aug 21 19:34:54 UTC 2020

We're happily running the BIND 9.11 ESV on CentOS 7 by way of:
   isc-bind-esv/x86_64	Copr repo for bind-esv owned by isc

The roadmap I recall indicates 9.11 will move to "security only" updates
at the end of 2020, at which time 9.16 is slated to become the ESV. I
figure it is time for me to get a 9.16 instance running and see what
will be involved in making it work for us.

My questions are two:
A) How will the upcoming change in ESV-designation appear to users of
the COPR packages? Will there come a time when the repository/package
"isc-bind-esv" will just deliver 9.16 rather than 9.11?

B) If I have a host currently using "isc-bind-esv/x86_64", and I want it
instead to use "isc-bind/x86_64", what's the suggested process? Do I
"yum remove", replace the "bind-esv" repository with "bind", and "yum
install"? Is it simpler than that?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration