How to define a name with an empty RRset?

Scott Morizot tmorizot at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 12:15:37 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 5:23 AM Alessandro Vesely <vesely at tana.it> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the doc says each node has a set of resource information, which may be
> empty.
> But how do I create such a node?  If I just write, say:
>
>     an-emty-name.example.com.

I believe that's a reference to empty non-terminals. If you created, for
instance, an AAAA record for

new-server.an-empty-name.example.com

in the example.com zone and there were no entries specifically for
an-empty-name.example.com, the node an-empty-name.example.com would exist
in DNS, because it's part of the AAAA resource record,
new-server.an-empty-name.example.com, but would have no resource records
associated with it. So a query for any resource record type for the name
an-empty-name.example.com would return a NOERROR response with 0 answers.

HTH,

Scott