validating ... bad cache hit

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Apr 24 15:55:06 UTC 2020

Havard Eidnes via bind-users <bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:

> If it was due to validation failure, I would have thought that it
> would be more persistent than only last for 10 minutes.

Looking for vaguely plausible causes I guess what might have happened is
there was a DNSKEY lookup failure (transient network problem?), so
validator.c:fetch_callback_dnskey() returned DNS_R_BROKENCHAIN, so the
DNSKEY query was added to the bad cache. After that happens, validation
attempts failed for lame-ttl seconds because of the
dns_resolver_getbadcache() check in validator.c:view_find().

Tony.
West Forties, Cromarty, Forth, Tyne, Dogger: Variable, mainly northerly, 2 to
4. Slight or moderate. Fog patches in Forth and Tyne. Moderate or good,
occasionally very poor in Forth and Tyne.