Debian/Ubuntu: Why was the service renamed from bind9 to named?

Klaus Darilion klaus.darilion at nic.at
Wed Apr 15 06:51:27 UTC 2020

Hello!

What is the rationale of:

bind9 (1:9.13.6-1) experimental; urgency=medium
  * Rename the init scripts to named to match the name of the daemon

Since years, Debian and Ubuntu User, and plenty of scripts and automation software (Puppet ...), know that the service is called "bind9". I think it is very confusing and will cause lots of headaches once Ubuntu 18.04 or Debian 11 is released.

So I really do not understand this renaming.

The software is "Bind 9". The package is "bind9". The service for long time was "bind9". The config is in /etc/bind. Only the binary is named. So it would have made more sense to rename the binary. (actually the binary is not so important for end users: they install the package and manage the service and usually do not have to worry about the name of the binary).

It would be great if you undo this change before release of 18.04.

regards
Klaus