bind 9.16 vs. 9.14 tcp client connections

Daniel Stirnimann daniel.stirnimann at switch.ch
Mon Apr 13 18:43:07 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I believe this problem should be fixed in 9.16.1:

5361.	[bug]		named might not accept new connections after
			hitting tcp-clients quota. [GL #1643]

However, we had two authoritative name servers running 9.16.1 which
stopped accepting new TCP connections after the tcp-clients quota was
reached. This is indicated when running "rndc status" and checking "TCP
high-water" or in the bind logs:

general: error: TCP connection failed: quota reached

It looks like "tcp-clients" quota is per server address. It only stopped
accepting new TCP connections for "some" server addresses. Where "some"
address is the server address for which the quota was reached. For
example, one server had dual stack and it only affected IPv4.

I had a look at the PCAP, DSC statistics and graphs plotted from bind
statistics server. In all cases, I have no explanation why the
tcp-clients quota was reached at all. TCP query volume seems normal
(low) until the quota is reached and then it drops even more.

Daniel