Status of experimental COPR packages

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Fri Sep 6 20:10:00 UTC 2019

> On Sep 6, 2019, at 10:18 AM, John Thurston <john.thurston at alaska.gov> wrote:
>
> Back in Sept, 2018 we got word of packages published by ISC for a few common linux distributions.
>  https://www.isc.org/blogs/bind-9-packages/
>
> There have been a couple of trickles of news on this mailing list since then. I'm interested in the prospects, plans, etc for these packages.
>
> I really like what I'm seeing with the COPR distribution:
>  https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/isc/
> The description there still states "..USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.”

John- Do you still see those messages? I don’t see them. I thought I removed all those comments about ‘experimental’ and ‘use at your own risk’ a while ago.

> I see the August update to 9.11.10 is available there.
> Where do I go to learn the planned path for this?
>
> Are there plans to stabilize it?
> Are there outstanding feature requests to be addressed?
> Is there a timeline somewhere?

The reason these were marked as experimental was, we were waiting to get more feedback from users. It seems as if we aren’t going to get any, which is why I reventually removed those comments.

The main package ‘feature’ we were trying to implement, was support for the software collections approach to managing dependencies (we have quite a few due to wanting to provide support for DNSTAP). That work is finished, and i am not aware of any other ‘outstanding feature requests.’   So I think the packages are pretty stable.

We did recently start setting up another site, Cloudsmith.io, for some of our packages. We need a site we can control for non-public stuff, like the BIND subscription edition, and private patches, and Cloudsmith allows us to put packages for multiple different OSes in one repo.  I need to find out whether we plan to continue updating the COPR site or not.  I think we do,(because of course it is easier to ‘find’ than Cloudsmith) but we haven’t discussed it explicitly.

I should have a more complete answer next week - the people working on this are already on their weekend.

Vicky

> --
>   Do things because you should, not just because you can.
>
> John Thurston    907-465-8591
> John.Thurston at alaska.gov
> Department of Administration
> State of Alaska