Explicit Code of Conduct for this list established

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Wed Sep 4 17:59:45 UTC 2019

Hey there BIND-users,

A few weeks ago I posted a message here asking for feedback about establishing some sort of guideline for behavior on this list. I suggested an email sent by Cathy Almond of ISC Technical support to this list a few years ago, asking for civility and patience.

A few people replied on-list, and several also replied directly to me. People expressed sadness that such a thing was necessary, but nobody voiced an objection. The upshot is, we have decided to adopt a formal Code of Conduct for this list, as well as for discussions on the BIND 9 Gitlab project site.  We looked at several well-known statements from other open source projects, and selected the one the Django project uses as our baseline. We have adapted it slightly and posted it in the BIND 9 Gitlab (https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md <https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md>). I will also put a link to it in the information about this list on https://lists.isc.org/mailman/admin/bind-users/general <https://lists.isc.org/mailman/admin/bind-users/general>.

We also added a page to our web site on how to report violations of the Code of Conduct (https://www.isc.org/conductreporting/ <https://www.isc.org/conductreporting/>). I hope we never have to use it, but we now have an explicit policy to refer to when moderating this list.

Regards,

Vicky Risk
Product Manager
Internet Systems Consortium
vicky at isc.org
———————

Text added to Information on this list:

This list is provided for the purpose of discussing the deployment and usage of BIND DNS software. Developers and contributors may solicit input from users here and users are welcome to ask for, and give help and advice here.

Participation on this list is governed by a Code of Conduct (https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md <https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md>). If you believe that you are the target of behavior in violation of the Code of Conduct, please alert the list administrators rather than retaliating on the mailing list. Report these concerns to conduct at isc.org <mailto:conduct at isc.org>. Insulting and derogatory posts will not be tolerated and will result in future posts from those list members who are posting in this manner being held for moderation or suspended indefinitely from this community.

We should like to remind list users that irrespective of the basic levels of experience or knowledge of some of the posters here, that they are asking for community help and that advice should be given politely and with respect shown both towards the original poster and other contributors to a thread.

Please remember that:

- English is not the first language for all - this can lead to misunderstandings

- Beginners don't always 'get it' from the start (but with gentle guidance may become the experts of the future.)

- If you are seeking help debugging an active issue, don’t alter the domain name so that people can query it in order to advise you. This tends to frustrate your intended helpers.