Log rolling stopped working in 9.11.12 ?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Nov 19 17:23:09 UTC 2019

Thank you for the obvious suggestion, Mark. It hadn't occurred to me
that a yum update might have clobbered my existing permissions.

Sure enough, there it was -
   755 root:root /var/opt/isc/isc-bind/log/
Everything in that directory was still -
   644 named:named
but the user "named" was unable to create anything new

Looking at my installation notes from earlier this year, I found the
following:
> Adjust the log directory permissions.
> chown named:named /var/opt/isc/isc-bind/log
> chmod 775 /var/opt/isc/isc-bind/log

I have re-applied that permission change, and things are happy again.
Which brings me to two follow-up questions.

A) Should I expect these file permissions be altered by a minor update?
I know I started at 9.11.8 and have updated to 9.11.9 and 9.11.10
without seeing this behavior.

B) Should I not be logging to /var/opt/isc/isc-bind/log?
The log path in my named.conf is currently set to a relative path
"../../log/query.log", but I could easily change it to an absolute path
"/var/log/named/query.log"

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration