Re: RPZ and forward zone trouble

Miguel Mucio Santos Moreira miguel at prodemge.gov.br
Wed Mar 27 12:28:14 UTC 2019

Hello folks!

Clark,

Thanks for explanation, I think it makes really sense. I''m gonna perform more tests to try clarify exactly what is it.

Thankful
--

Miguel Moreira
Gerente

Aviso: Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente para a(s) pessoa(s) a quem é dirigida, podendo conter informação sigilosa e legalmente protegida. O uso impróprio será tratado conforme as normas da empresa e a legislação em vigor. Caso não seja o destinatário, favor notificar o remetente, ficando proibidas a utilização, divulgação, cópia e distribuição. Em Terça, Março 26, 2019 02:15 -03, Crist Clark <cjc+bind-users at pumpky.net> escreveu:In order to make the determination whether to apply an rpz-nsip rule,
the DNS server must have the NS records and their corresponding A
records. In a recursive resolver, it would have had to lookup said NS
and A records to find the answer to the query, so they are cached and
available. In a forwarding resolver, it does not need to look up the
intermediate NS records to answer the query. It does not have the NS
records available.

You basically need your forwarder to act like a recursive resolver in
order for it to get the info in needs. Looks like BIND follows its
directive to be a forwarder as the higher calling, and doesn't do the
extra look ups necessary to get the answers it could use for the RPZ
policies. However, if they are cached and available, it will go ahead
and use them.

I think the right answer is that if you want full capabilities for
RPZ, you need full recursive resolver functionality.

(Just a BIND user explaining how I understand these features to work.
I may be way off. Also, you should be sure to read the following if
you have not already. I may not be correctly understanding your
explanation, and this document is specifically about limitations and
unexpected behaviors of this functionality,
https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00862
)