allow-update in global options (was Re: bind and certbot with dns-challenge)

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw.ml at ithnet.com
Mon Mar 18 09:07:15 UTC 2019

Ok, first let me thank Alan et al for clearing up the initial topic and making
the problem more visible than me was able to.

Just for the papers, we are hosting some hundred domains, and of course we are
able to handle sed. We can change the config regarding this issue. But to us
it was clearly time to at least present the idea to configure zones based on a
user-defined default zone entry. This would clarify (and shorten) the config
quite a bit. Something like:

zone "default1" { type master; allow-update { 127.0.0.1; }; };
zone "default-slave" { type slave; masters { 10.0.0.1; 10.0.0.2; }; };

zone "mytest.domain" { default1; file "a_zone_file_for_mytest.domain"; };
zone "our-slave.domain" { default-slave; file "just_some_domain.bak"; };

This would allow multiple default entries and still give a trivial overview
inside the config. To me, it looks easy to implement, does not interfere with
what is there and still gives the option of defining something "semi-global".
The "all-but-one" case is trivial with such a definition option.
What do you think?
--
Regards,
Stephan von Krawczynski

--
MfG,
Stephan von Krawczynski

ith Kommunikationstechnik GmbH

Lieferanschrift  : Reiterstrasse 24, D-94447 Plattling
Telefon          : +49 9931 9188 0
Fax              : +49 9931 9188 44
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Stephan von Krawczynski
Registergericht  : Deggendorf HRB 1625