rndc and nsupdate failing to work for me

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Thu Mar 14 16:09:28 UTC 2019

On 03/14/2019 04:40 AM, Niall O'Reilly wrote:
> On 14 Mar 2019, at 5:17, Marc Chamberlin via bind-users wrote:
>
>> On 03/13/2019 08:33 PM, John W. Blue wrote:
>>> As an option, instead of including /etc/rndc.key nothing prevents you
>>> from including rndc.conf.  That way you are consistent with your useage.
> Another option is to include rndc.key from both rndc.conf and
> named.conf, which also keeps things consistent.  Additionally, it
> allows rndc.key to have stricter protection than the .conf files
> (in my case, mode bits 0640 rather than 0644).
Thanks Niall, I thought I had tried that approach when I was poking
around with rndc.conf, but apparently I must have done it wrong. The
include statement in rndc.conf does work, however I still do get the
warning - "WARNING: key file (/etc/rndc.key) exists, but using default
configuration file (/etc/rndc.conf)" which seems to be unnecessary but I
am not going to worry about it.

> I seem to recall actually needing to do this because of named
> objecting to the syntax of some of the configuration statements
> I needed to use in rndc.conf.
>
> I hope this helps.
Yes, it does, thanks again... Much cleaner and safer this way...    Marc...

--
*Computers: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the user Marc.
His mission: to explore strange new hardware. To seek out new software