DynDB - handling arbitrary zones

Klaus Malorny Klaus.Malorny at knipp.de
Tue Mar 12 17:16:46 UTC 2019

Hi all,

first of all, if this is not the right list for such questions, please redirect me.

I am exploring the DynDB API of BIND whether it could help us to solve our
needs. As I have played around with DLZ quite a few years ago, I was pleased to
see a new interface seemingly resolving the problems of the first (mostly the
lack of DNSSEC support). However, one thing I am missing, and looking at the
demo driver, I did not get a real answer on that. That's why I am asking here.

The DLZ driver had to provide a function to find a zone. This allowed it to
generate responses for any zone that happened to be in the driver's repository
(database or else). There was no need keep a list of known zones and easily
scales up to thousands of zones. I did not find a corresponding function in the
DynDB API. The whole dbmethods interface seems to handle only a single, specific
zone with dns_db_t as an abstract handle to it. I expected somewhere a
customizable function that gets a query name and returns the respective (driver
specific) zone instance (or an indication if it is not available). Instead, it
looks like that one has to enumerate all zones that shall be handled by the
driver and register them at a provided "view" instance beforehand. Is this
perception correct or do I misunderstand something completely? Thanks in advance
for any hints.

Regards,

Klaus