writeable file '/etc/bind/db.empty' already in use

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Jun 23 23:47:28 UTC 2019

> On 23 Jun 2019, at 9:34 pm, igorc <icicimov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I get it that in 9.10 the same file can not be referenced in multiple zones
> but don't get it why is this rule broken in a file that ships with bind?

Because it doesn’t.  BIND doesn’t ship with any .db zones other than those
used in the system tests.  This file has been created by the package maintainer.

> Is it maybe left over after an upgrade from 9.9? What are we suppose to do
> with this file now and how do we use the rfc1918? Interestingly even if I
> make the file '/etc/bind/db.empty' read only the same error still comes up
> which does not make much sense, right?

BIND has had built in empty zones for RFC 1918 since 9.9.0.  There is no need
to explicitly configure reverses for RFC 1918 space unless you are using that
space in which case you will be adding reverse zones which are not empty.

> Finally, it was a common approach, especially for ad blockers, to null route
> a zone like this for example:
>
> so wonder what would be the solution now short of creating 350K of different
> null zone files?

Master zones can share db files unless you have turned on dynamic updates for
one of the zones that references this file.