A policy for removing named.conf options.

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Thu Jun 13 18:43:25 UTC 2019

> > Is it really much of a hassle to leave the obsolete options in the
> > parser, but just ignore them?

IMHO, it depends on the option. For something like "managed-keys" and
"trusted-keys", there are clear security implications.  Once those are no
longer effective, it would be dangerous to have named ignore them - even
with a logged warning. Operators who didn't notice the log message wouldn't
realize they were running without the security they'd configured.

For something like "cleaning-interval" or "max-acache-size", IMHO it would
be safe to let it slide. With "dnssec-enable" or "queryport-pool-ports",
maybe those fall somewhere in between, I could see arguments either way.

In any case, if we're going to make a policy that covers the whole range of
possibilities, then it needs to address the case when an option must
removed, and how to ensure operators aren't blindsided by that.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.