A policy for removing named.conf options.

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Thu Jun 13 16:10:58 UTC 2019

On 6/13/2019 4:37 AM, Lightner, Jeffrey wrote:
> I'd suggest also giving warnings for deprecated options when running named-checkconf (and named-checkzone if applicable).   You mention the logs but not the commands.
>
> Jeffrey C. Lightner
> Sr. UNIX/Linux Administrator

I hope this is implemented in named-checkconf/zone.

It would also be nice to include some sort of option on named-checkconf
to 'whitelist' or ignore the deprecation warnings, as I use
named-checkconf two different ways.

When I'm setting up a server, or making a configuration change, I use it
interactively. In this case, I would love to know if an option I'm
trying to use is going away.

I have automated deployment processes which call named-checkconf. In
most of these cases, I only need to know that my .conf is valid even if
it isn't optimal. I'll uncover the warnings with my next interactive
work, but I don't want my automated processes to stop working because
something will be going away at some point in the near future.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska