rndc - sync before reload?

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Mon Jul 15 05:28:17 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 01:34:35AM +0000, John W. Blue wrote:
> I have zero experience with dynamic zones on BIND because all of ours are
> static.  That said, and since nobody else has commented, it seems like it
> would make sense to sync before reload.
>
> The man says that sync writes out to the journal which shouldn't ever be
> a bad thing.

It doesn't write *to* the journal file; it takes the changes that are
encoded in the journal file and writes them out to the zone master file.

I guess that wasn't clear, so maybe the man page needs some clarification:

       sync [-clean] [zone [class [view]]]
           Sync changes in the journal file for a dynamic zone to the master
           file. If the "-clean" option is specified, the journal file is also
           removed. If no zone is specified, then all zones are synced.

"rndc reload" loads the zone from the master file *plus* the journal file,
if there is one. There's no need to sync the journal file to the master
file before reloading.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.