DNS flag day

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jan 18 20:58:02 UTC 2019

> On 19 Jan 2019, at 6:58 am, Ben Croswell <ben.croswell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would say we had one provider go as far as saying this whole flag day thing is a hoax. Not sure what option there is other than voting with your wallet and moving to a different provider.

You can go read the source code and see where the work arounds have been removed.
There are a number of sites that will not be resolvable without manual configuration
after flag day.  As BIND also uses DNS COOKIE those sites that block DNS COOKIE option
will be in the list.  Also those running old versions of Windows DNS will be problematic
as they don’t consistently respond to EDNS queries with FORMERR.  They respond *once* then
stop responding for a short while.  If there is packet loss the server becomes non responsive.

> May even be worth looking at 2 providers. I see DNS provider redundancy as being a huge priority after the Dyn DDoS event.
>
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019, 2:50 PM Lightner, Jeffrey <JLightner at dsservices.com wrote:
> On checking I find that any of our domains that use Network Solutions’ Worldnic.com nameservers are reporting failures when checked.
>
> For example this result:  https://ednscomp.isc.org/ednscomp/e30c6cf0ea
>
> Other people online have posted about Network Solutions as they also saw failures.

Well the answers to the test queries are *wrong*.  The servers DO NOT implement EDNS
version negotiation.  This isn’t a DNS flag day issue but a future interoperability issue.

[beetle:~/git/bind9] marka% dig brewerrepair.com. @207.204.40.143 +edns=1 +noednsne

; <<>> DiG 9.13.1+hotspot+add-prefetch+marka <<>> brewerrepair.com. @207.204.40.143 +edns=1 +noednsne
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 2800
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;brewerrepair.com.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
brewerrepair.com.	7200	IN	A	199.192.145.62

;; Query time: 836 msec
;; SERVER: 207.204.40.143#53(207.204.40.143)
;; WHEN: Sat Jan 19 07:48:28 AEDT 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 61

[beetle:~/git/bind9] marka%

You should see a answer like this one from the root servers which *do* implement EDNS fully.

[beetle:~/git/bind9] marka% dig brewerrepair.com. @a.root-servers.net +edns=1 +noednsne

; <<>> DiG 9.13.1+hotspot+add-prefetch+marka <<>> brewerrepair.com. @a.root-servers.net +edns=1 +noednsne
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: BADVERS, id: 31554
;; flags: qr rd ad; QUERY: 0, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1472
;; Query time: 184 msec
;; SERVER: 198.41.0.4#53(198.41.0.4)