Is it possible to use nsupdate with EDNS0?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jan 16 19:56:24 UTC 2019

While legal it is most definitely not a good idea. You first have to probe to find out the EDNS buffer size. Then you may also need to deal with PMTUD issues.  The you need to deal with broken middle boxes and fragmentation. Dealing with all of this is done at the application level. Add to that TCP still needs to be supported on the server anyway there really is no point in trying.

Named does not attempt to send larger than 512 byte updates via UDP.  There are no plans to do so.
--
Mark Andrews