DNS Flag Day: I had to open the TCP/53 port

Salih CIRGAN salih.cirgan at doruk.net.tr
Mon Feb 4 14:08:12 UTC 2019

rfc6891 states that it uses TCP to avoid truncated UDP responses. It is all about packet size,fragmentation and network load.

EDNS(0) specifies a way to advertise additional features such as

   larger response size capability, which is intended to help avoid

   truncated UDP responses, which in turn cause retry over TCP.  It

   therefore provides support for transporting these larger packet sizes

   without needing to resort to TCP for transport.

Announcing UDP buffer sizes that are too small may result in fallback

   to TCP with a corresponding load impact on DNS servers.  This is

   especially important with DNSSEC, where answers are much larger.