Problem to transfer reverse zone DNS on secondary DNS servers

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Dec 27 20:06:22 UTC 2019

On 12/27/19 10:49 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> in the real world they just delegate the reverse-zone to your nameserver
> like it#s done for our /24 range for years

Please clarify what the "reverse-zone" is that you're talking about.  Is
it "246.2.186.in-addr.arpa." or "17.246.2.186.in-addr.arpa."?
Delegating the former will likely have undesired ramifications.
Delegating the latter (and it's associated IPs) is what I prefer to do.

> no need for zone transfers

I agree that there's not a /need/ for a zone transfer from the client to
the ISP.  However Matus indicated that he /wanted/ the zone transfer.

> if the ISP is willing to do and if you really own a large enough range
> that it makes sense is a different question, for just 3 random addresses
> it is unlikely to happen

Agreed.

But I will still ask the ISP to delegate the IPs to me as that's what I
prefer.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die