Question about CVE-2019-6477: TCP-pipelined queries can bypass tcp-clients limit

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Fri Dec 20 21:41:35 UTC 2019

Hi Veronique,

What is being logged is individual queries (or rather, query responses
in actual fact, as those queries are responded to).

It doesn't make any difference to the logging how they arrived - each
query is logged independently, whether it was pipelined over TCP,
arrived non-pipelined, or came in over UDP.

You can't determine whether a client is using TCP pipelining from
looking at the querylog channel - that's because what is being logged is
individual queries being handled, not client connections and how the
queries are transported.

Hoping this helps.

Cathy