function in DNS to provide an answer depending on the source of query.

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Thu Dec 5 09:04:18 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 07:57:24AM +0000, Harshith Mulky wrote:
> Is there a possibility to achieve this from a DNS
>
> If Carrier A (source IP: A.A.A.A) sends NAPTR query X to DNS, then DNS
> replies NAPTR response Y.
>
> If Carrier B (source IP: B.B.B.B) sends NAPTR query X to DNS, then DNS
> replies NAPTR response Z.
>
> is there any function in DNS to provide an answer depending on the source
> of query?

You asked on bind-users, so I assume you wanted to know about BIND, not
DNS in general. Other servers have other methods.

In BIND, you do this by setting up two views, each with a different version
of the zone. View A has a match-clients statement covering A.A.A.A, and has
response Y; view B has a match-clients statement covering B.B.B.B and has
response Z.

There are some other ways to do it too, e.g. with response-policy zones
or the DLZ perl module, but views are easier.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.