Obfuscating SOA information in RPZ

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Dec 2 22:56:27 UTC 2019

You need BIND 9.14.0 or later.

5177.   [func]          Add the ability to specify in named.conf whether a
                        response-policy zone's SOA record should be added
                        to the additional section (add-soa yes/no). [GL #865]

That said the rpz SOA is “unrelated” to the query so it doesn’t belong in the
authority section as there is no automated way to process it.  Additionally
the server is permitted to put anything it thinks may be useful in the additional
section.

RFC 1034, 4.3.2. Algorithm

   6. Using local data only, attempt to add other RRs which may be
      useful to the additional section of the query.  Exit.

Also why is the machine getting a rpz modified response in the first place?

Mark