EDITED: Proper Way to Configure a Domain which never sends emails

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Aug 19 13:45:23 UTC 2019

On 19.08.19 15:01, Ignacio García wrote:
>I have to set up dns records for a domain just for a web site, for
>which we will NEVER send emails (though we might receive some from old
>customers), so I would like to announce somehow that emails sent from
>this domain should always be disregarded. I was thinking of setting
>just A and AAAA records for @ and www, NS records, MX records (for
>receiving) and SPF with a record just consisting of v=spf1 -all  ,

>not declaring an A and MX records at all.

above you said you will declare A/AAAA records...

> I'm not sure at all this is a
>proper way of declaring this. In fact, what I would like is to
>EXPLICITELY mention somehow that we will never send emails from that
>domain. Could anybody help me with this?

Note that when you point A and AAAA records for the domainname, people may
try to send mail to/from the domain name (the implicit MX points to those
addresses).

To avoid this, you can point the MX for the domain to ".", some MTAs
understand this as "this domain doesn't provide mail service".

Honk if you love peace and quiet.