Question about Delegation/forwarder

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Apr 28 04:15:27 UTC 2019

In article <mailman.495.1556306063.711.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Gawan Re <vootlavonage at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a bind server with recursion disabled.

So this should be an authoritative-only nameserver, not a resolving
nameserver.

> One of the subzone is delegated to external name servers for which we are
> not authoritative. The records inside this subzone would not resolve as the
> subzone is delegated to external name servers and I have recursion
> disabled.

Why is this a problem? The client nameserver should follow the
delegation.

Stub resolvers should not point to a server that has recursion disabled.

> My question is, While I have the delegation is in place (even though it is
> useless), is there a way to override Delegation (and possibly replace with
> forwarders) ?

Forwarders are only used when recursing. If recursion is disabled,
forwarders are useless.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA