Regarding named related issue observed with bind 9.11.5-P4 version

Alan Clegg alan at clegg.com
Wed Apr 10 14:29:54 UTC 2019

On 4/10/19 10:19 AM, Alan Clegg wrote:
> On 4/3/19 5:26 AM, Chandra Rao wrote:
>> While launching the named service coming from the latest bind as
>> mentioned below, We have observed that it's is not able to create
>> "/var/run/named" directory with the named user in the cluster. Due to
>> this we are not able to store the files "named.pid" and "session.key".
>
> named does not create the directory structure.  You will need to do that
> yourself.

Correcting myself before others do (sigh):

You've not shown how much of the /var/run directory structure exists.
Does /var/run exist?  What are the permissions on it?

I've just now looked at the only instance of the "couldn't mkdir"
message in the BIND source code:

		if (mkdir(filename, mode) == -1) {
			strerror_r(errno, strbuf, sizeof(strbuf));
			(*report)("couldn't mkdir '%s': %s", filename,
				  strbuf);
			goto error;
		}

(my original comment was based on logging directory structure, not that
used by session information).

AlanC