BIND and UDP tuning

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Sep 28 15:30:47 UTC 2018

Alex wrote on 9/26/2018 11:52 AM:
>   This is all now running on a 165/35 cable system.
>

> Early in this thread or another, I provided a packet trace that showed
> what appears to me to never have received the replies - it just times
> out.

> It looks like there are periods of as many as 500 queries per second,
> although the usual amount is closer to 200 per second.

DOCSIS cable systems use an upstream request/grant system to avoid
collisions (they act as a hub where only one cable modem in the node can
transmit at the same time). This leads to low pps rates compared with
ethernet. Even a 10M ethernet connection (1k-10k pps) will outperform a
1gig cable connection (a few hundred pps).

Based on the info you've provided, I suspect that you may be running
into this limit. As another poster suggested, you might consider moving
your DNS server to a VPS hosted on an ethernet connection at a location
more suited for DNS server operation or otherwise try to leverage your
upstream provider's DNS or an outside DNS server.

--Blake