bind-9-packages: RPS and both '--enable-static' and '--disable-static'?

Michał Kępień michal at isc.org
Fri Sep 28 07:52:03 UTC 2018

Hi James,

> Thank you for the https://www.isc.org/blogs/bind-9-packages/
> blog post and various binary distributions mentioned in it.
>
> I am an end user, not a programmer, and I rely on Linux
> distributions and application packages and so having up-to-date
> content from authoritative sources is both helpful and very
> reassuring.
>
> As a result of this, I now have the "stable" currently-9.12.2
> version from https://launchpad.net/~isc/+archive/ubuntu/bind
> installed on Ubuntu 18.04 here on my home desktop in order to
> hack away at something.

Thanks for giving our packages a shot!

> So I was looking forward to RPS having the effect of adding TCP
> to the mix and doing a much more respectable job of extracting
> the queries.
>
> Which does lead to the question about some RPS documentation
> but that's sorta moot at this point.

I am not sure if you are aware of it but writing a library implementing
the DNSRPS API is not something entirely straightforward.  See the
"librpz_0_t" type in lib/dns/include/dns/librpz.h for a list of methods
comprising the library interface.  Also note that the only working
implementation whose existence I am aware of is a proprietary one.

Given the above, a strong enough motivation for using --enable-dnsrps in
the packages we build and support is lacking.  Note that Debian and its
derivatives provide tools which make rebuilding a source package with
different compile-time options fairly convenient.

> Also, when running "named -V", I see both '--enable-static' and
> '--disable-static' in the output.  I have no idea if this is
> sensible or not but it sure looks a little funny:

Thank you for catching this, we will fix it.

--
Best regards,
Michał Kępień