NTP through DNS?

Dave Warren dw at thedave.ca
Sun Sep 23 23:22:08 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018, at 03:24, Ray Bellis wrote:
> On 22/09/2018 02:39, Danny Mayer wrote:
>
> > No, that's not true. Consider what you are doing. You are substituting
> > SRV records for CNAME records. There is nothing magical here. NTP can
> > use the CNAME records. Either way the records have to be configured.
> > What do you think you are discovering? SRV records aren't magic.
>
> SRV records aren't magic, but they are an "approved" way of discovering
> services.

If you have a domain, yes. But it doesn't help with network based autodiscovery in a meaningful way. I would argue DHCP is the correct answer (even if it points to DNS and uses SRV records, the process starts with DHCP). But we also know that many clients don't use DHCP provided NTP servers, so split view DNS records are the only real practical solution that is client-independent, noting that it still needs some initial client configuration.

> We've all seen what happened with the convention of "www." to "discover"
> the HTTP service on a domain and how the (marketing folks) desire to
> drop that has caused no end of CNAME related issues...

Doesn't this predate SRV records?