2 Questions - forward zone and DNS firewalling

N6Ghost n6ghost at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 20:34:20 UTC 2018

Hi All,

have two questions first, I am not a huge fan of using forwarding zones
and our "load balancing" team, has there zone delegated to them in a
way that needs an internal forward zone to work properly on the inside
and not rely on on internet POP.

I want to move a core namespace to the load balancer but i want them to
let me assign them a new zone thats internally authoritative and use it
as the LB domain.

which would be:
cname name.domain.com -> newname.newzone.domain.com

they want:
cname name.domain.com -> newname.oldzone.domain.com

old zone is directly delagated from outside to them so we need an
internal forward zone for it. i dont want to rely on that.

any thoughts on this? what can i use to present to management to win
this?

next, we where a bind shop but switched to infoblox for some stuff and
now out grew it. and are going back to bind.

but we started using the dns firewall part of it and they actually
really liked it. any ideas for domain blacklisting? via some sort of
feed etc? what is everyone doing for that sort of thing?

thanks

-N6Ghost