Question about visibility

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Oct 11 11:35:07 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM Admin Hardy <admin at innerface.net> wrote:

> I realise this is not specifically a BIND/DNS question and a bit off
> topic so please ignore if need be I realise people are often very busy.
>
> If you you have a website but the host IP you do not list with any
> domain name in DNS, is it definite that this site could never be reached
> via Google.  I do not really know the nuts and bolts of how Google gets
> access to pages.
>
> If for 'some particular reason' instead of developing a site on a local
> dev machine on your LAN and then uploading/installing the site to a
> remote server, you needed 'for what ever reason' to do the development
> and testing on the final live host accessing it via the ip address,
> would this be a way to be 'almost certain' of keeping it hidden from
> unwanted accidental exposure?

Nope. It is somewhat less likely that it would be discovered / accidentally
exposed, but it is *far* from certain.

If you were wanting to do something like this, I'd suggest having a DNS
name (because that makes it easier), but firewalling it off so that only
"authorized" people can reach it. This could be something like iptables, a
VPN, or, more likely / less annoying, simply having your webserver require
a login to access the content...

> Thanks.

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf