BIND and UDP tuning

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 00:27:53 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 1:19 PM @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> On 30 Sep 2018, at 09:59, Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It also tends to happen in bulk - there may be 25 SERVFAILs within the
> > same second, then nothing for another few minutes.
>
> That really makes it seem like either you modem or you ISP is interfering somehow, or is simply not able to keep up.

I'm leaning towards that, too. The problem persists even when using
the provider's DNS servers. I thought for sure I'd see some verifiable
info from other people having problems with cable, such as from
dslreports, etc, but there really hasn't been anything. The comment
made about DOCSIS earlier in this thread was helpful.

Do you believe it could be impacting all data, not just bind/DNS/UDP?

Do people not generally use cable as even a fallback link for
secondary services? I figured it was because there's no SLA, not
because it doesn't work well with many protocols. I'd imagine services
like Netflix and youtube don't have problems is because they 1) don't
require a lot of DNS traffic and 2) http is a really simple protocol
and 3) the link is probably engineered to be used for that?