forward all but ANY requests

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Fri Nov 30 11:26:56 UTC 2018

On 30-Nov-18 06:04, Erich Eckner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running a bind9 name server (9.13.4 on debian) which forwards some
> zone (onion.) to tor's name server. Unfortunately, tor's name server
> only answers A and AAAA requests, but not e.g. ANY requests.
>
> 192.168.1.3 is running the tor dns,
> 192.168.1.13 is running bind9 forwarding to 192.168.1.3:9053
>
> $ dig +short @192.168.1.3 -p9053 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion ANY
> ;; Connection to 192.168.1.3#9053(192.168.1.3) for
> 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion failed: connection refused.
> $ dig +short @192.168.1.3 -p9053 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion A
> 10.255.55.223
> $ dig +short @192.168.1.3 -p9053 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion AAAA
> febe:5163:d2b9:98aa:345b:ee04:2c32:d10e
> $ dig +short @192.168.1.13 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion ANY
> $ dig +short @192.168.1.13 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion A
> 10.255.55.223
> $ dig +short @192.168.1.13 3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion AAAA
> febe:5163:d2b9:98aa:345b:ee04:2c32:d10e
>
> Is there any option:
>  - to make bind fall back to A or AAAA when the ANY request fails (even
> the connection fails!) or
>  - to only forward requests of certain type(s) or
>  - to answer ANY requests _always_ with A or AAAA records (not trying if
> the ANY request can be forwarded successfully), possibly for certain
> zones only?
>
> Sry, if that has been asked before, but I seem unable to find anything
> useful on the internet, since "ANY" is not a good search term ;-) and
> without "ANY" I only turn up how to set bind to ipv4/ipv6-only.
>
> regards,
> Erich

This reflects a common misunderstanding.

A query for ANY does not return 'everything'.  It returns what the
server happens to have cached.  It's a diagnostic.

You have to ask explicitly for the record types that you want.

Many people have fallen into the trap of thinking that an ANY query will
return all records in the DNS, and assume that therefore it can be used
to make fewer queries.  You're not the first.

Any software (or wetware) that relies on ANY for any purpose other than
determining what's in a server's cache for diagnostic purposes is broken.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.