Should we bundle the MaxMind GeoIP db?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Wed May 30 23:56:23 UTC 2018

On 05/30/2018 06:30 PM, Victoria Risk wrote:

>> On May 30, 2018, at 3:15 PM, Rick Dicaire <kritek at gmail.com
>> <mailto:kritek at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, would this conflict with any similar pkg installed by an OS's pkg
>> management system?
>
> The package manager could choose whether or not to include the database
<snip>

     I think the philosophy[1] of ISC BIND and DHCP has been to "do one
thing and do it well" whereas recent software minds are creeping towards
"do one thing and add on everything else".  Let's look at the editor
called "vim" or "emacs" which are both monstrous in size for what they
do. Or at least what they were intended to do. I think original vi fit
neatly into a few hundred KB.  At last glance emacs was 62MB of source.
I think the entire operating system on an IBM 3090 MVS/ESA mainframe was
a few megabytes and the front 3092 controller booted from an 8 inch
floppy.  Two decades ago.

     BIND is a precisely targeted tool. It may have add on things that
can be brought along later by a user or a package manager or production
software manager on some site. However throwing in GeoIP would add on
code control and database update sub-projects and costs and staff. Is
this really necessary for what Berkeley Internet Name Daemon should be
doing?

Dennis Clarke
ye old UNIX silverback
[1] also "Write programs to work together."