location for master file dump

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sun May 27 13:06:39 UTC 2018

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 09:13:30AM +0100,
   André Rodier via bind-users wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-05-26 at 22:45 +0100, André Rodier via bind-users wrote:
> > On 2018-05-26 22:16, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> > > You've told BIND to load zones from /etc/bind, so it will try
> > > to create the journal files in the same directory, despite the
> > > "directory" option.
> > >
> > > You'll need to move your zones into /var/cache/bind, or a
> > > subdirectory thereof.
> >
> > Thank you, Anand,
> >
> > It is something I am reluctant to do, I have already started to
> > explore other servers.
>
> Thanks for your help, sorry for the answer yesterday, I was pretty
> upset by this limitation.

No worries, it is a good thing that we have multiple DNS
implementations from which to choose.

> In the end, I finally used /var/cache/bind as the directory for bind9,
> and I do not have the error from AppArmor any more. Also, I did not
> want to loose the time I invested in the configuration.
>
> However, I kept my domain definition file in /etc/bind, with read only
> permissions, and used a symbolic link in /var/cache/bind. This is the
> safest way I found to keep apart configuration and dynamic data.

You're apparently misunderstanding what a zone file is.  It's a data
file, not a configuration file.  It properly belongs under /var, not
under /etc.

> However, PowerDNS seems a good server I am willing to explore the
> option.

Indeed, and I know some PDNS developers; they're good folks and
highly competent.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/