BIND srtt algorithm not working as expected

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu May 17 08:47:25 UTC 2018

please wrap your lines when possible. <76 characters ideally.

On 17.05.18 08:32, Paul Roberts wrote:
>After doing some more packet captures, it looks like a lot of the queries
> are related to Sophos live protection DNS lookups (lots of queries for
> sophosxl.net), so there are a lot of queries which don't get resolved.  We
> see multiple queries for the same name and the resolver seems to
> retransmit to each forwarder when it doesn't get a response, including the
> non-local ones.  So the behaviour may be being exacerbated by these
> non-resolvable queries.  Eventually after about 10 seconds, the forwarder
> replies with a SERVFAIL response as it eventually gives up trying to get a
> response from the Sophos name servers.

do those forwarders respond?

Because if they don't return anything, or return SERVFAIL, it's expected ang
logical for BIND to try again.

>So now I am not sure if the rtt algorithm is completely at fault here as
> BIND is simply trying additional forwarders in an attempt to resolve the
> name.

apparently not - I remember when having such problem years ago, I have
advised the client to turn those DNS lookups off.  Those lookups were
overloading our DNS servers (not sure fi sophos).

>I have seen this live protection stuff going on in quite a few corporates
> now, and each time we have had to raise the recursive-client limit.  I
> don't think it's just Sophos that do this, pretty sure I saw this with
> McAfee a couple years ago too, they seem to use DNS to transmit file name
> hashes so they can do a reputation lookup, but for Sophos they only reply
> if some kind of action is required.  There must be many corporates out
> there that are experiencing issues with the way this works, i.e all of a
> sudden their resolvers stop recursing because the recursive client limit
> is hit.

>One account I am working on, the resolvers regularly hit 20,000+ recursive
> clients when they kick of a scheduled virus scan.  I wish the anti-virus
> vendors would consider the impact they are having on corporate DNS
> environments and re-think how they implement their reputation lookups, it
> must be the cause of some pretty serious ouages.  :-(

this kind of protection apparently should not be run on public DNS
infrastructure.

One OS to bring them all and into darkness bind them